Old houses can have their charm, but they can also come with a lot of downsides. If you're living in an older house that hasn't had its electrical system examined recently or at all while you've been living there, you should strongly consider changing that. Here's why.
Old Wires Fail
Nothing lasts forever, and wires are no different. Old wires that were placed in your home when it was originally built likely haven't been replaced since. These wires can start to break down and fail, and when they do, electrical arcing can occur. This is where electricity jumps from one exposed point of the wire to another. The problem with this is that electricity is moving through the open air and is potentially coming into contact with the insulation in your walls or the wood that your home is built with. It's easy at this point for old wires to spark a fire which can be absolutely devastating for a home.
The Signs Aren't Always Noticeable
Some people are lucky and will have noticeable signs that their wires are failing, like power outlets that start making strange noises or smoking. Others will notice that their power regularly flickers on and off or drops out for periods of time when no one else in the area is having a power outage. However, just as often, these wires show no signs at all until they completely fail and can potentially spark a fire.
The best thing you can do in this situation is to have an electrician come out to inspect your home. They'll run a few tests on your electrical wires to see if there's evidence of a loss of electricity from one end to the next which could indicate a damaged wire or arcing electricity. If they find a problem, they'll most likely need to open up your wall in order to access the damaged wires. While this can be a nuisance, keep in mind that it's far better than the alternative.
Once your home has had its wiring replaced, you can rest easy knowing that you're no longer at risk for an electrical house fire and that you and your family will be safe in the years to come.
Electrical problems are no joke, and can easily spark fires. If you're worried about your home and its aging state, contact an electrician service like Palmer Electric Inc. and get your electrical wiring checked.